Harefield London UK|
DUE TO COVID 19 RESTRICTIONS VIEWINGS ARE CURRENTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
1905 70' Converted Historic Narrowboat 'The King'
The King is a 1905 built iron narrowboat by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd for their fleet, initially as a steam-powered carrying boat but then converted to diesel power in the 1920s. The King was converted for residential use in the late 1960s/early 1970 and now makes an ideal live-a-board or holiday boat. Powered by a Gardner 2LW. Plenty of history. Benefits from CRT historic boat discount.
Builder: Fellows, Morton and Clayton, Saltley Dock
Last Docked: May 2021, 2 pack epoxy on sides and May 2020 baseplate
Heating: Squirrel Morso with back-boiler which feeds multiple radiators, and Classic range in the back cabin
Electrics: 7 x 110Ah batteries (replaced May 2019), Stirling 3KW Inverter / charger / solar regulator. Shoreline. A new battery charger replaced the old one in January 2021
Lighting: Variety of 12v lighting on the ceiling and 240v lamps.
Berths: Fixed double, brand new pull out king size French day bed, with room for additional beds in the spare cabin, traditional cross bed in boatman's back cabin (4/5)
Kitchen: Indesit gas cooker, Belfast sink, 240v new Swan fridge, solid oak worktop and soft close cupboards.
Engine: Gardner 2LW with PRM gearbox (raw water-cooled). In August 2020, the engine top-end was overhauled entirely by Walsh's Engineering, Manchester. In short, the work consisted of deconstructing the engine and having new internal components such as new pistons, piston rings, main bearings, valves and springs (paperwork available). The old heat exchanger was also replaced with a new one. The water cooling system was also correctly configured by engineers. In total, £4,600 worth of work/improvements have been made to benefit the engine.
Gearbox: PRM Gearbox
Propeller: 27" x 18”
Stern Gear: Removed in 2019, inspected for wear and refitted
Diesel Tanks: Approx 250 litres
Controls: Traditional speed-wheel for throttle and push/pull road for gears
Ignition: Electric start
Paintwork: Re-painted in 2021 in FMC red and green livery with sign-writing to match
Windows: Portholes down both sides for privacy, side doors in living space and three dog boxes provide ample light.
Headlight: 1 x headlight switched from the steering position
Gas Locker: Fits 2 x 13kg gas bottles
Fenders: Stern fenders made in 2016 by Renaissance Canal Carrying (2 x tipcats, 1 x button)
Well deck: 9' well deck with Regentex side cloths and top cloths
Bilge Pump: Automatic electric bilge pump in the well deck.
Water Tank: Custom built stainless steel water tank in the well deck.
Lockable gas locker in front deck housing 2 x 13kg gas bottles. Steel deck with wooden cants. Hardwood deck board and false cratch decorated with roses, diamonds etc. and cotton rope-work and firehose.
9ft well-deck with access steps on either side of the cabin. Traditional Regentex side cloths and top cloths (made in 2019) make the area waterproof, or the top cloths can be removed during the summer months to give a lovely area to sit out. The custom-built stainless steel water tank sits at the front of the well-deck with filler in the gunnel.
Full-length double doors give access to the 12ft lounge, cupboards and shelves on either side for storage—one king-size French bed and side doors with roses and castle decoration. A squirrel stove with a back boiler provides ample heat with 2 x radiators feeding the rest of the boat and also provides hot water.
8ft U shape kitchen with solid wood soft close cupboards and oak worktop. Belfast sink, a new and good-sized 240V Swan fridge with freezer box. Freestanding Indesit gas cooker. Hot water is provided by a calorifier situated in the corner of the kitchen. It is heated by the engine when underway and the back boiler on the Squirrel Stove or by a new 1.5KW immersion heater. A dog box is fitted above the kitchen, giving ample natural light.
The kitchen leads into the main bedroom with a new captains' bed with ample storage underneath—cupboard space at the head of the bed with downlighters.
Like the kitchen, a dog box is fitted above the bedroom, offering plenty of light.
After the main bedroom is a second bedroom (6ft 2in), we currently have this fitted out as a walk-in wardrobe. However, this can easily be rearranged to provide office space, twin bunks, or an extra big bathroom
Within the bathroom on the starboard size is an 800mm x 800mm shower tray with a Whale Gulper pump to pump the water overboard. The porta potty is kept within the shower tray when the shower is not in use. On the port side is a hand basin with a vanity unit for storage. Dog box with frosted glass situated above the bathroom to provide light.
Walking through into the engine room (7.5ft), houses the rebuilt Gardner 2LW with PRM gearbox. 2 x diesel tanks sit on either side of the engine room. The engine is raw water cooled and has a heat exchanger fitted, allowing the engine to heat the hot water when cruising. A 3KW Sterling Inverter/a new Charger/Solar Regulator is located in the engine room. On the far side of the engine room is the 2 X Engine Starter Batteries and 5 x Domestic Batteries, which were replaced in 2019. Engine room (side doors) located on either side. The engine is fitted with 2 x Alternators for charging both battery banks.
Finally, you walk through into the 8ft back cabin, fitted in the traditional style with cabin decoration by Jesse Owen of Charity Dock in the 1970s. A fold-down bed, drop-down table cupboard, and Classic Stove. Out through the back cabin doors leads you onto the back deck.
Traditional stern with 1 x dolly and 1 x towing hook as originally fitted to this type of boat. Gear Controls are the traditional push/pull rod for gear and speed wheel for throttle. Weed hatch fitted in back deck. Full set of manila rope fenders (two tipcats and one button) in excellent condition (new in 2016 and creosoted every year).
The King was built in 1905 by Fellows, Morton and Clayton Limited at their Saltley, Birmingham Yard as a steam-powered carrying boat, fleet number 103. The King's original construction was elm bottom and iron sides. In 1925, The King was converted to diesel power by removing the steam plant and replacing it with a 15hp Bolinder Engine. She continued to work for Fellows, Morton and Clayton until July 1947, when she was sold to Ernie Thomas, Walsall and renamed 'Star'.
There is lots of documented history of The King during her early working life as a steamer, the earliest dating from 1912 where The King had a collision with another steamer and broke a lot of things within her cabin, and an occurrence in 1921 where the crew of The King left paddles open up the Stoke Bruerne flight and caused the pounds to be drained!
In early 1962, The King was sold by Ernie Thomas into private ownership and converted to a houseboat, being renamed at this time to 'Salamander'. In 1972, The King had significant work undertaken at Charity Dock on the Coventry Canal, including new wooden cabin conversion, engine alterations, and the counter. Jess Owen painted the internal cabin decoration at this stage, most of which still survive in the rear cabin.
The King spent the next twenty years based in London, mainly at Paddington/Battlebridge as a houseboat and paired with the FMC butty Fazeley. In 1991 The King moved up to the Midlands area and was based at Warwickshire Fly Boat Company for the next ten years.
In 2006, the Gardner 4LW was removed and replaced with the current Gardner 2LW. Barry Hawkins completed the installation at Atherstone, and during this time, a weed hatch was also fitted on the counter.
In 2013, the wooden exterior cladding of the cabin was removed by Olympus Narrowboats at Lostock Gralam. During the removal of the cladding, the original 1972 interior framework and lining was found to be in excellent condition, so this was saved, and the exterior cladding was replaced, new handrails and new panelling added.
In 2019, the cabin was taken down to bare wood, treated with two-pack epoxy on all the woodwork and re-painted in FMC Red & Green livery, along with fresh traditional sign-writing. Again, in 2021, the cabin was taken down to bare wood, treated with two-pack epoxy on all the woodwork and re-painted in FMC Red & Green livery.
The King was dry-docked in May 2020 and was blacked and painted in two-pack epoxy primer and epoxy topcoat. The hull is in good order, as she has been re-bottomed in steel and re-footed the entire length of the hull to the bottom guard in recent years. In May 2021, The King was in wet-dock and was re-painted in two-pack epoxy primer and epoxy topcoat.
The stern gear was removed in May 2019, inspected for wear and refitted. It was found to be in good condition, and no repair work was necessary.
DUE TO COVID 19 RESTRICTIONS VIEWINGS ARE CURRENTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
We maintain our ads regularly so if you can still see the boat here, then it should still be available (or under offer) as we only remove them from the site once sold.
For further information or to arrange a viewing please feel free to e-mail or phone Mon-Sun 9am-5pm on (01895) 822036.
No guarantee is given or implied with regards to specification but descriptions are given in good faith. All vessels sold without warranty or condition to fitness either expressed or implied by status or otherwise. We are relying on information supplied to us by a third party. Harefield Marina advises that a qualified independent surveyor carries out a full out of water survey.
|Vessel name:||The King|
|Make:||Fellows Morton Clayton|
|No. of engines:||1|
|Engine model:||Gardner 2LW|
|Length over all:||70'|
|Fuel capacity:||250 Litres|
Note: Indicated location is approximate general area only.