West Midlands UK
A 70 ft. traditional motorboat which has been well maintained throughout its life. It was built as a tanker in 1946 by W. J. Yarwood (no. 781 on their register) for the Staffordshire Chemical Co. for the purpose of transporting bulk liquid by-products from Shelton Iron and Steel Works. In 1960 it was sold into private ownership where the hold was opened to allow use for a wider range of cargoes. During this time the boat was based on the Erewash Canal and played an important role in the successful battle to prevent the Canal’s abandonment.
The boat retains a traditional rebuilt boatman’s cabin complete with ‘Star’ range, followed by the unchanged engine room.
The hold has been equipped with removable covers both for protection and to restore its appearance as a tanker. Power is provided by the original and efficient 14 hp. 2 cylinder Lister CEM water cooled engine, for which there are ample spare parts (may be sold separately).
This is a first class boat and continues to be used regularly. As a mark of its provenance it is listed no. 2476 on the National Register of Historic Vessels.
|Builder:||W J Yarwood|
|No. of engines:||1|
|Engine model:||Lister 2CEM|
|Length over all:||21.33m|
|Length at waterline:||70'|